Jersey Mike's Reveals America's Sandwich Eating Habits
Insights for National Sandwich Day on Nov. 3: 70% of Americans Eat Two or More Sandwiches a Week
MANASQUAN, N.J. – Jersey Mike’s Trend Tracker survey of 95,749 individuals reveals some surprising sandwich eating habits. Jersey Mike’s Subs, known for its fresh sliced/fresh grilled subs, rolled out the survey, designed to capture a slice of American life, in honor of National Sandwich Day on November 3.
In celebration of National Sandwich Day, Jersey Mike’s is offering a $2 Off Any Regular Sub Coupon to its email club members and fans on social media (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) to be used on that day.
Jersey Mike’s Trend Tracker – America’s Sandwich Eating Habits
American’s love their sandwiches!
- 7 out of 10 (70%) people say they eat sandwiches at least twice a week.
- Nearly one-third (32%) say they eat sandwiches 3 to 5 times per week.
- Which age group eats the most? Baby Boomers (ages 52-70) have it. 44% say they eat 3 subs or more a week compared to Generation Xers (ages 35-51) at 35% and Millennials (ages 18-34) at 29%.
It’s (not) a Wrap: Top 5 Sandwich Types
- Sub sandwich (64%)
- Grilled sandwich (11%)
- Deli sandwich (10%)
- Wrap (8%)
- Club (7%)
Favorite Place to Eat a Sub?
- Half of all respondents (51%) prefer to eat their sub at home.
- Nearly one-third (31%) say they like to eat at the sandwich shop.
- Least likely location? The bathtub. (We are still trying to soak up the fact that 498 people said they do enjoy their sub in a tub.)
To Share or Not to Share?
- Awwww: Half (50%) of all respondents say they most want to share their sub with their significant other.
- Still, while mom may have taught us to share, nearly one-third (28%) of respondents say they don’t…at least not their sub!
Subs & Generations
Jersey Mike’s Trend Tracker found that Millennials eat an average of one sub per week and lean toward Jersey Mike’s #7 Turkey Breast and Provolone, while Generation Xers prefer the sub shop’s #13 The Original Italian and eat a sub an average of twice a week. Boomers eat an average of 3 to 5 subs per week and also lean toward the #13 The Original Italian.
Jersey Mike’s Trend Tracker gathered 95,749 responses between October 18 and October 20. In exchange for answering brief questions, the company emailed a $2 coupon to respondents. Trend Tracker captures a slice of American life.
Started in 1956, Jersey Mike’s now has 1,500 restaurants open and under development nationwide. In 2016, for the third year in a row, the company was named the #1 fastest growing chain in the Nation’s Restaurant News Top 100, and continues to win best sub awards in virtually every market it enters.
The growth is fueled by passionate Jersey Mike’s fans who crave their subs made Mike’s Way® with the freshest vegetables – onions, lettuce and tomatoes – topped off with an exquisite zing of “the juice” – red wine vinegar and olive oil blended to perfection. Jersey Mike’s premium meats and cheeses are sliced on the spot, piled high on in-store baked bread and served up with a helping of neighborly banter from a dedicated and high-energy team.