Sub-perb or Sub-par. We taste-test several area submarine sandwich shops and choose which is best
Originally Published at Avid Golfer Magazine
Jersey Mike's Subs
Six locations throughout the Metroplex www.jerseymikes.com
- The Jersey Mike's menu has it all - cold subs, hot subs, wraps, salads and soups. The meat comes right from the block and is sliced in front of you. All cold sandwiches can come Mike's Way - onions, lettuce, tomatoes, red wine vinegar olive oil blend and spices - and the hot subs are cooked on a grill, not in a toaster oven or microwave.
- Unique sandwiches:
- The Jersey Shore's Favorite (Provolone cheese and cappacuolo); Albacore Tuna Fish; The Super Sub (Provolone, ham, proscuittini and cappacuolo); Chipotle Cheese Steak (grilled onions, peppers and chipotle mayo).
- Other favorites:
- Sub in a Tub (a regular sub without the bread); Jersey Mike's Famous Philly; Big Kahuna Cheese Steak (grilled onions, peppers, mushrooms, jalapenos and extra cheese).
- Seating room:
- Tiny, tiny, tiny. Numerous locations have very limited seating, and especially around lunchtime there is a wait to get a table or even a chair.
- Small televisions are propped in the corner for your viewing pleasure, but the coziness of the seating area makes for some noisy and uncomfortable dining, especially when sitting near the ordering line or drink machine.
- Jersey Mike's has the best tasting subs amongst those rated. Perhaps it's the fresh-baked bread or the meat they use. And Jersey Mike's specially blended sweet tea is very good. Where's The Beef. Besides the cramped sitting area, it takes awhile to cook up the hot subs; sometimes the wait is 10 minutes on busy days. And when it comes to the lettuce, they pour it on like no other.
- Did You Know?
- The first jersey Mike's opened in 1956 in Point Pleasant, N.J. Now there are 350 franchises nationwide.
- Overall Rating:
- 4.5 out of 5. Jersey Mike's is the top dog amongst the sub shops in the Metroplex. Those lucky enough to have one in their neighborhood can vouch for the high rating. And those without one near them - trust us, their subs are worth the drive.